TRES DIAS CLEVELAND PRESIDENT’S LETTER – SEPTEMBER 2011
Years ago, and I mean YEARS AGO, I can remember baking chocolate chip cookies without my mother’s help. I excitedly blended the ingredients, carefully plunked the batter down on the cookie sheet, slid the pan into the hot oven and eagerly waited to eat a warm gooey cookie – o.k. maybe more than just one. Much to my chagrin, the cookies didn’t look or taste at all like I expected. When I decided to read the directions (Houston, do you see a problem???), I noticed that I omitted the eggs, an essential ingredient in the recipe. By leaving out an essential didn’t get the delicious experience I looked forward to.
Many things in life can be dramatically altered by the omission or admission of just 1 ingredient. For example:
- running a car without the oil doesn’t work for too long
- using a flashlight with dead batteries can be frustrating or think how
- adding garlic to cherry jello would drastically change the flavor!
Webster’s Dictionary defines an essential as “something that is absolutely necessary; indispensable”. Tres Dias, like any good organization has a mission statement as well as guidelines or principles that make up a Weekend. We call these activities the Tres Dias Essentials. These principles are found in every Tres Dias Weekend whether it is held here in Cleveland, Texas or Kiev, Russia. The elements included in the TD Essentials were deemed by the creators of TD to be important enough to be a part of each weekend.
Just as critical it was for me to read and add the correct ingredients to my chocolate chip cookies, it is equally important for every pescadore to understand the essentials that comprise each weekend and fully grasp the flow of the weekend. The Cleveland TD Secretariat believes that this training is so important we are now going to offer it twice a year and ask that every pescadore who desires to serve on a team attend this training at least once every 3 years. Our next Essential Training will be held on September 10, 2111 immediately following our Pay It Forward dinner at Christ Presbyterian Church. Come and join us and grab one of my chocolate chip cookies…I’ll be sure to include the eggs this time!!!! Blessings and love, judi
OTHER ‘ESSENTIAL’ ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Praise and thanks to Lonnie Gallup for faithfully serving our community for the past 2 years. It was through Lonnie’s diligent efforts that we are updating our website. One of the many things that Lonnie did was to create a new position, the Communication Chair to take our community into the digital age.
- Continue to pray for Steve Corcoran as he heads the Men’s #20 Weekend. His meetings will begin next week.
- Pray that God will draw each candidate that He desires to be on the Weekend.
- Give Frank Costanzo, Men’s Weekend Chair, a call to offer your help. His number is 216-990-8658.